Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Long Way – Point Ten – Magazine

“… same away from the stars and from the atoms as well we extend our knowledge to grasp both the very small and the very large.”

Carl Sagan
It is a bit longer delay, but I would like to come back to my wandering through Second Life. Actually, I do not know how it is begun. Somebody spoke to me, if I wanted to work in a team, which is preparing new and particularly the first Czech in-world magazine. At that time, I was already writing my blog, so not a big problem to disagree.

If I am looking back at this, so I think that nobody of us in the team was not doing some illusions that we will be the best and the most interesting. But some ambitions were, at least by some of us and by me too. Without these I would never join such a business. Thus for some time, ma SL wandering was teaming with many people, who were embarking on some experiment. However, they did not know how this experiment ever will end.

The number of published issues finally achieved number ten in a span of the entire one year. We also published even one special issue about the Blue Mars virtual world. The content quality and the graphics increased with each new issue. I wrote rarely, but I had a big task to make language correction of each contribution.

To speak to bigger amount of people by force of our magazine was surely our main aim. If it succeeded, other people would have to judge it. Of course, some objection could exist, for example, a website or a blog can speak to more people. But on the other hand (Btw. we had also our own blog.), if some is launched longer time, then it has much bigger chance than some new.

However, I would not want is as an excuse. We achieved at least certain audience both the magazine and the blog. We recruited the advertisers and fair number of group members. The magazine was available at many Czech and Slovak sims and it was also free to buy at xstreet.

I do not regret it and it was my great pleasure to work wit these people. The matter that the magazine closed its existence is one thing. The second one is that it was big experience for me in all respects, both proofreading and work with people.

And some small paraphrase at the end: “The distance from the stars or the atoms is, actually, big in both directions – big and even small. Nevertheless, I extended my knowledge in both directions as well.”

No comments: